Sydney deports second tourist carrying pork amid fears of spreading deadly pig disease
A Vietnamese man carrying four kilograms of pork-filled mooncakes has been turned away from Australia after failing to declare he was carrying food.
He was the second person to be refused entry into Australia, following the introduction of tough new biosecurity rules earlier this year.
Agriculture Minister Bridget McKenzie said the 60-year-old man did not declare the food in his luggage when attempting to enter Australia via Sydney International Airport on Saturday.
It comes as a the deadly pig disease, African swine fever, which can be transmitted to pigs in pork products, has spread closer to Australia.
“A recent round of testing found nearly 50 per cent of pork products seized from air travellers tested positive for African swine fever,” Ms McKenzie said.
“That’s why I have zero tolerance approach to those who intentionally do the wrong thing and lie about what they’re carrying,” she said.
If it was at our border it would just be a piddly fine and on your way mate. Why are we so soft on this kind of thing, when our whole economy could be put at risk?