Prince Andrew’s ‘sex alibi’ looks shaky as UK press launches campaign
When Victoria Roberts put forward claims Prince Andrew had sex with her when she was underage, he hit back with an alibi that placed him far away from the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell and a 17-year-old girl.
The Duke of York said on March 10, 2001, he took his daughter Beatrice to a birthday party at a pizza chain restaurant in the outlier suburb of Woking.
That’s the date Ms Roberts, the lead accuser of deceased pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, says she was instructed to have sex with Prince Andrew.
The Duke has vehemently denied all accusations of sexual relations with Ms Roberts – even meeting her, despite photographic evidence – including in a “car crash” interview with the BBC about 12 months ago.
The Duke has been stood down from royal duties since that BBC interview in November last year.
The Prince has always been referred to as the Queen’s favourite son, but he was notably absent from the photographs of the royal family, taken at a recent (COVID safe) reunion at Windsor Castle.
It’s not like it would have been hard for him to make it to the reunion – he and his former wife Sarah Ferguson live on-site at Windsor Castle, where the Queen and Prince Philip have been waiting out the second wave of the pandemic in the UK.
Next year won’t be any smoother for the Prince. Ms Maxwell is finally due to start trial in July, for sex trafficking charges related to those Epstein was arrested for, before he took his own life.
Not that the Duke’s Epstein links are ever far from the headlines, Ms Maxwell’s trial will ensure they are page one for weeks.